The MCERA Establishment Group oversaw the early establishment phase of the centre. This included establishing MCERA as a legal entity, developing a constitution, and appointing an interim Board of Directors. The members of the establishment group were:
- Dr Anna Sullivan, Senior Lecturer, School of Education University of South Australia
- Mr Jim Davies, Consultant, past CEO Principals Australia Institute Ltd, and past President South Australian Secondary Principals Association
- Mr Peter Holmes, Partner, Ferrier Hodgson
- Ms Michele Nardelli, Manager News and Communications, University of South Australia
- Dr Nicole Mockler, Lecture in Education, University of Sydney and Communications Coordinator for the Australian Association for Research in Education
- Professor Michele Simons, Dean and Head of the School of Education, Western Sydney University
- Professor Alan Reid, Emeritus Professor, School of Education, University of South Australia
- Mr Nick Wilkins, Partner, Nexia Edwards Marshall
- Professor Martin Westwell, Director of the Flinders Centre for Science Education in the 21st Century, Flinders University
- Mr Roger Zubrinich, Consultant, Establishment and Government Relations
MCERA is grateful for the support of all members of the establishment group.
MCERA commenced active operation in February 2017. Since then, it has played an important role in assisting researchers in communicating their research to the media, providing expert comment on issues of the day, and building collaboration between journalists and researchers to inform the public.
In early 2018, MCERA launched Informed Sources: Latest Educational Research for Australian schools, providing research-informed content to school leaders, teachers and parents.